Eurosmart: 7 billion smart secure devices in 2012
Out of these smart devices, Eurosmart itemizes the contactless smart secure devices:
Eurosmart has increased the final figures for SIMs and microcontroller payment cards shipped in 2011 to respectively 4,700 million and 1,050 million units, thereby bringing the total shipment of microcontroller based Smart Secure Devices close to 6,300 million units in 2011. Eurosmart expects the double digit growth to continue in all major segments in 2012, bringing the 2012 total smart secure device forecast to over 7 billion units.
Eurosmart adds that major growth drivers have not changed since our last forecast, the most relevant ones being:Telecom:
- Still strong growth in developing markets M2M technology opening new applications and expanding the smart security market, - automotive, smart metering, etc.
- Deployment of cellular connected consumer devices like tablets and eReaders,
- Deployment of 4G with currently over 50 commercial LTE networks globally, enabling feature rich IP services,
- EMV migration driving growth in Latin America and China. India is set to become the next big country to migrate,
- Confirmed EMV migration in the US. Shipments in the millions are already happening and will be driven by the liability shift going forward,
- Ongoing deployment of Dual interface (contact & contactless),
- Strong growth in National eID programs,
- Ongoing smart healthcare programs,
- Eurosmart confirms its 2012 forecast, expecting secure NFC device shipments to be in the range of 80 to 120 million units,
- We are seeing confirmation that leading handset manufacturers have started to include NFC in their smart phones,
- Furthermore, there is a lot of market activities around mobile financial services in general and mobile NFC services in particular. Several major MNOs and banks as well as Visa and MasterCard have started to market NFC services,
- Industry alliances and partnerships have been formed to speed up the adoption
The industry association has also unanimously elected its new Bureau:
- Oyvind Rastad (Gemalto) is elected as Chairman for a one-year mandate;
- Dr. Jochen Schollmann (Giesecke & Devrient) is reelected as Vice-Chairman for a second mandate;
- Jerome Ajdenbaum (Oberthur Technologies) is elected as Vice-Chairman;
- Sonja Gatzke (Infineon Technologies) is newly elected as Treasurer.
Bruno Dupont as Secretary General is also part of the Bureau but with no voting right.