SPA: 580 million payment smart cards in 2008
- With more than 580 million payment smart cards delivered by its members, SPA represents the vast majority of the payment smart cards market. This figure corresponds to a 39% year-on-year growth (2008 vs. 2007), showing the ongoing momentum of EMV deployment.
- Over 25% growth in all regions with the fastest growth seen in North America, where shipments have more than doubled, CISEEMEA (CIS countries, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa) with +65% and South Asia with +49%.
- Open-platform is gaining ground and now represents 15% of all shipments, a 72% increase compared to last year. This can be explained by the development of multi-applicative EMV cards. The 70% year-on-year growth in large memory product shipments and the large increase in open-platform dual interface card shipments confirm this trend.
- Both dual interface and pure contactless cards confirm SPA's expectations, outperforming the market with year-on-year growth rates of 140% and 66% respectively.
- DDA (Dynamic Data Authentication) technology is continuing to gain importance, with 69% growth year-on-year, representing 25% of SPA members' shipments in 2008. Migration to DDA has started worldwide, and both Visa and MasterCard mandate that all cards should support DDA by 2011 in Europe. The SPA is about to publish a whitepaper that will present the status of DDA migration and highlight DDA success stories. This document will also outline the impact of DDA migration on banks at both technical and business levels.
Founded in December 2004, the Smart Payment Association (SPA) consists of four of the leading industry players in the payment smart card segment, representing worldwide coverage; Gemalto, Giesecke & Devrient, Oberthur Technologies and Sagem Orga.